smbios.ko probes successfully if i disable acpi sysresource, fails if i do not

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Thu Oct 26 16:29:23 UTC 2006

John Utz wrote:
> Hello;
>
> as you may know i am attempting to use fbsd's smbios functionality to
> support porting the linux i8k-utils dell smbios keyboard and fan stuff.
>
> i just discovered today that disabling sysresource allows the module to
> attach.
>
> so, here's the part that i'd love some help with understanding:
>
> 1. with acpi enabled, is smbios.ko supposed to be asking acpi for a
> resource handle or something?
>
> 2. is acpi_resource.c behaving in error? should it not be consuming the
> smbios startaddr?
>
> note that startaddr for smbios is 0xf000, bios.c looks for pnpbios and
> pcibios starting at 0xe000 and completely ignores smbios.
>
> it seems to me that either statement 1 or 2 is correct, but not both.
>
> of course, i could be totally wrong, can anybody enlighten me?

ACPI reserves sysresource objects for downstream devices.  Then, those
devices get the resources they request via ACPI.  Anyway, all this
should be transparent to the downstream devices.  They shouldn't care if
they're getting their resources from nexus (top, pseudo-device) or acpi.

Are you using bus_alloc_resource() or the equivalent to get the
resources in your driver?  It transparently maps resource requests to
upstream devices.  Please send the output of devinfo -rv with your
driver installed, both with and without sysresource enabled in ACPI.

--
Nate