if i was porting a linux kernel module that wrote out to /proc, where should i point it at in freebsd?

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Thu Oct 12 18:14:17 UTC 2006

Bruno Ducrot wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:41:33AM -0700, John Utz wrote:
>> so technically, i suppose i shouldn't discuss it on this list.
>
> Well, on the other hand we discuss stuff that don't belong to ACPI,
> as for example cpufreq..  I guess we can discuss stuff related to
> power management in general.

Yep, I think this is the best list for power management discussions.

>> however, this certainly seems like the best place to ask questions
>>  about this since it's seems like SMM+DMI is the neanderthal fork
>> with ACPI
>>  being the cromagnon fork (which i guess make PnP austrolopithicus).
>
> ACPI still need to go SMM at least for telling the BIOS to switch to
> ACPI mode (instead of Legacy).  It's a transitional phase I
> believe, but the transition takes a very long time.

And actually, ACPI is just a standard wrapper around nonstandard SMM
code.  So instead of needing a driver for every BIOS version, you just
have one API.

In practice, the ACPI standard moves so slowly that you get
acpi_toshiba, acpi_sony, acpi_dell, etc. for supporting features that
don't yet have a standard API.  With a little bit of work, I think all
the features they support (backlight, hotkeys, etc.) do have a defined
ACPI interface but for whatever reason they don't make that effort.

--
Nate