if i was porting a linux kernel module that wrote out to /proc, where should i point it at in freebsd?

John Utz John at utzweb.net
Thu Oct 12 16:43:29 UTC 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Bruno Ducrot wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:04:42AM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
>> John Utz wrote:
>>> i've been working on i8k utils off and on for several months.
>>>
>>> (lately it's been what i've been doing whilst i sit at my daughter's
>>> gymnastics class)
>>>
>>> so several of the api's work, ie turning the fans on and off, etc.
>>>
>>> buttons *still* dont work. :-(
>>>
>>> at this point, i want to start working on hXRing the kernel module.
>>>
>>> as currently coded, it writes to /proc.
>>>
>>> i would prefer to not have to require the proc lkm for this to
>>> work, i'd
>>> rather do it the bsd way.
>>>
>>> so, umm, what *is* the bsd way ? :-)
>>
>> It looks like "i8k" is the Dell hotkeys/PM driver.  Use sysctl as the
>> interface.  See the other drivers in /sys/dev/acpi_support for a good
>> template (i.e., acpi_toshiba.c).
>>

> i8k is not an ACPI driver.  I'm working on a acpi_dell one but I'm
> waiting a D620 (hint, hint :)

yah, it's a combination of SMM and DMI, no acpi involved.

so technically, i suppose i shouldn't discuss it on this list.

however, this certainly seems like the best place to ask questions
  about this since it's seems like SMM+DMI is the neanderthal fork
with ACPI
  being the cromagnon fork (which i guess make PnP austrolopithicus).