if i was porting a linux kernel module that wrote out to /proc, where should i point it at in freebsd?

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Thu Oct 12 16:01:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:01:17PM -0400, john at utzweb.net wrote:
> > John Utz wrote:
> >> i've been working on i8k utils off and on for several months.
> >>
> >> (lately it's been what i've been doing whilst i sit at my daughter's
> >> gymnastics class)
> >>
> >> so several of the api's work, ie turning the fans on and off, etc.
> >>
> >> buttons *still* dont work. :-(
> >>
> >> at this point, i want to start working on hXRing the kernel module.
> >>
> >> as currently coded, it writes to /proc.
> >>
> >> i would prefer to not have to require the proc lkm for this to work, i'd
> >> rather do it the bsd way.
> >>
> >> so, umm, what *is* the bsd way ? :-)
> >
> > It looks like "i8k" is the Dell hotkeys/PM driver.
>
> yah, i forgot to mention that. sorry.
>
> >  Use sysctl as the interface.
>
> hokydoky!
>
> > See the other drivers in /sys/dev/acpi_support for a good
> > template (i.e., acpi_toshiba.c).
>
> i shall look again at that, tnx!

Well... Read carrefully:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-chat/2006-October/004315.html

if you want your driver to be added to the tree..

Maybe you should consider to write a port, that's should resolve the
legal issue.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.