backlight off after resume on Samsung X25

Karlheinz Eckmeier Karlheinz.Eckmeier at t-online.de
Mon Mar 13 13:41:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 09:50:11AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Karlheinz Eckmeier wrote:
> >I have a problem to resume on a Samsung X25 laptop after putting the
> >system into
> >the S3 sleep modus. The suspend works ok, but after the resume the
> >backlight of the LCD is off.
> >
> >The resume seems to work ok otherwise - the system itself is up and
> >running, it's possible to enter commands on the commandline.
> >
> >I tried to switch back and forth between VTYs and used radeontool to
> >switch the backlight on, but the screen stayed black.
> >
> >Please see the output of dmesg (after boot -v) and "sysctl hw.acpi" below.
> >The output of "acpidump -t -d" may be downloaded from
> >  http://khe.v3consulting.com/khe-SamsungX25.asl
> >
> >Recompiling the asl with iasl worked without any errors and warnings.
> >
> >Further infomation about the system:
> >Laptop:   Samsung X25
> >Graphic:  ATI Mobility Radeon X600
> >OS:	  FreeBSD 6.0
> >
> >I you need more information, please let me know.
> >
> >Any hints to fix this problem are appreciated very much, because I would
> >love to get the S3 mode working.
>
> Try:
>
> * without drm loaded

Removed "device drm" and "device radeondrm" from the kernel configuration,
build new kernel, installed it, rebooted the system. It made no difference
after the resume, LCD stays black.

> * In X or in console mode

The LCD stays black wether the suspend was initiated while on the console screen
or within the X screen. If I suspend/resume without any X running and try to
start X after the resume the X-Server stops with an error message: "No devices detected"

> * with acpi_video loaded

I had acpi_video loaded already after starting to debug this issue.
acpi_video loaded or not doesn't make any difference.

> * with acpi_video + dpms patch that was floating around

Applied patch from http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/acpi_video_dpms.patch
to /usr/src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_video.c, build new kernel, installed it,
rebooted the system. No difference!

> * with radeontool

Logging into the system via ssh after resume and using "radeontool light on" gave an
error message: "not memory mapped"

Karlheinz Eckmeier		Karlheinz.Eckmeier at t-online.de
Hochbruckerstr. 1
86609 Donauwoerth