backlight off after resume on Samsung X25

Karlheinz Eckmeier Karlheinz.Eckmeier at t-online.de
Mon Mar 13 13:24:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 05:08:45PM +0100, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Karlheinz Eckmeier <Karlheinz.Eckmeier at t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > I have a problem to resume on a Samsung X25 laptop after putting the
> > system into the S3 sleep modus. The suspend works ok, but after the
> > resume the backlight of the LCD is off.
>
> Just the backlight or the whole LCD?

The whole LCD stays completely black.

> > The resume seems to work ok otherwise - the system itself is up and
> > running, it's possible to enter commands on the commandline.
> >
> > I tried to switch back and forth between VTYs and used radeontool to
> > switch the backlight on, but the screen stayed black.
>
> Does radeontool work if you don't resume?

Yes, radeontool does work before a suspend/resume. It's possible to switch
the light on and off.

> Did you log into the system with ssh to see if
> radeontool has any complaints?

Good idea! radeontool gives an error message: "not memory mapped"
Btw I had to do "/etc/rc.d/netif restart" locally to be able to connect via ssh.
Seems the network also needs an additional push to come up properly after a suspend.

> What happens if you start X after resuming?

The X-Server stops with an error messages in Xorg.0.log:
     (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Single ATI Mobility Radeon X600".
     (EE) No devices detected.
     Fatal server error:
     no screens found

Thanks,