Fn keys on Dell E1405

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 19:38:52 UTC 2006

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> Greetings and salutations,
>
> Is there anything I can do to get Fn key functionality on
> my Dell E1405 notebook?  I've seen the patches for video
> switching and will try them at some point, but it's not
> as important to me as getting suspend/resume and wireless
> radio on/off.  Also getting the CD/DVD drive to eject would
> be nice.

On my Inspiron 8600, nearly all Fn keys produce plain key scancodes,
that you can assign to specific commands in X.

I have the following keycodes in .xmodmaprc

keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 137 = XF86Eject
keycode 162 = XF86AudioPause
keycode 160 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute

Please check those values with xev(1). You would then have to assign
specific commands to these keys with the help of your window manager.

Funny side note: The brightness up/down combo does NOT generate any kind
of keycode ... BUT when I turn the brightness up or down while xpdf(1)
has the focus, xpdf(1) will enter an infinite refresh loop and needs to
be killed. Very strange ....

Ulrich Spoerlein