Alienware acpi problem

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Wed Jul 26 19:23:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 03:05:38PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> You have some of the most incompetent BIOS writers I've ever seen working on
> your machine I'm afraid.

It's a Phoenix BIOS.

> First off, there is no LNKH device on your system.
> You do have various pci_link devices.  Four for APIC: ALKA, ALKB, ALKC, and
> ALKD, and four for non-APIC: LNKA, LNKB, LNKC, LNKD.  Not only that, but they
> all live in \_SB_.PCI0.PCIB.  Some places refer to LNKH via
> \_SB_.PCI0.PCIB.LNKH (as do all places for LNKA - LNKD it seems) but others
> refer to it as \_SB_.PCI0.LNKH.  Anyways, I think you might be fine if you
> always use 'device apic', as the PCI interrupt routing tables for the APIC
> case don't seem to reference LNKH.  I think it will only go down in flames
> this way if you disable APIC (via hint or not including 'device apic' in your
> kernel config).

Thanks for the help.  The asl file might as well be greek or chinese
or any other language that I don't speak. :(

I'll need to follow up tomorrow because the laptop is currently
in another location.  I don't recall removing "device apic",
so perhaps I somehow munged the hints files.

--
Steve