Problem with ACPI shutdown code

Dmitry Stefankov 5817 at ostrov.net
Wed Jul 19 09:44:39 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues.

I saw for some x-86 based computers (some notebooks, Intel server
platforms) and for FreeBSD 5.x/6.x the following problem:

during reboot sequence the computer hangs forever after ACPI shutdown
code executing and final reboot is not executed.

I found that the reset code doesn't work. But if ACPI shutdown code is
be skipped then the computer is rebooted OK (if we have a kernel panic
then all works OK).

I suggest to add a small workaround to fix this problem. I attached the
sample code for FreeBSD 6.1R code.

Please note also that Linux Fedora Core 5 has the same problem for this,
hardware, but the Microsoft Windows XP and 2003 are rebooted OK.

All the best,
Dmitry Stefankov