acpi: bad write to port

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 14 17:35:26 UTC 2006

On Sunday 25 June 2006 12:15, Nate Lawson wrote:
>> The IO access has always been going on, we just started catching it
> recently.  Those are the CMOS/RTC ports and it's not appropriate
> for the BIOS to access them.
>
> This is from OsdHardware.c log:
> revision 1.18
> date: 2006/03/29 06:41:56;  author: njl;  state: Exp;  lines: +76
> -0 Add a blacklist for bad IO ports that AML should never touch.
> It seems some systems were designed so that AML writes to various
> resources shared with OS drivers, including the RTC, PIC, PCI, etc.
>  These writes could collide with writes by the OS and should never
> be performed.  For now, we print a message if such an access
> occurs, but do not block it.  To block the access, the tunable
> "debug.acpi.block_bad_io" can be set to 1.  In the future, we will
> flip the switch and this will become the default.
>
> Information about this problem was found in Microsoft KB 283649.
> They block IO accesses if the BIOS indicates via _OSI that it is
> Windows 2001 or higher.  They always block accesses to the PIC,
> cascaded PIC, and ELCRs, no matter how old the BIOS.
>

> To test if disabling these writes hurts your system, try booting
> with debug.acpi.block_bad_io=1 set at the loader prompt.  If
> there's a problem, let me know what happened.  This helps us gather
> info for when we flip the switch to disabling such writes by
> default.
I'm seeing a small problem when setting the debug.acpi.block_bad_io=1
tunable.  The system no longer automatically powers off
with "halt -p".

Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop...done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...2 0 1 0 0 done
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 7h52m23s
ZapTel shutdown!
acpi: bad write to port 0x070 (8), val 0x42
    ACPI-0519: *** Error: Handler for [SystemIO] returned
AE_BAD_PARAMETER
    ACPI-0610: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_PTS] (Node
0xc1ad30a0), AE_BAD_PARAMETER
AcpiEnterSleepStatePrep failed - AE_BAD_PARAMETER

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

http://am-productions.biz/docs/cathode.asl
http://am-productions.biz/docs/cathode.dmesg