Selectively disabling acpi sub-systems

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Jul 10 12:38:28 UTC 2006

As described in:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-June/026554.html
I'm currently experiencing strange hangs or crashes with a FreeBSD
RELENG_6 system running Tor.

In case of the Tor related hangs the serial console becomes unresponsive
together with the rest of the system, therefore I can't get into ddb to
provide useful information about the cause of the problem.

sio0 is attached on acpi0 and while I have no reason to believe
that acpi0 is part of the problem, I'd like to make sure and
use sio0 without it.

Disabling acpi all together with hint.acpi.0.disabled
works, but it also renders fxp0 useless. It comes up
but only generates timeout messages.

acpi(4) lists several ways to disable acpi sub-systems,
but apparently I don't get the syntax right.

The system's device configuration is:

[fk at tor ~]$ devinfo
nexus0
  npx0
  acpi0
    cpu0
      acpi_throttle0
      cpufreq0
    acpi_button0
    acpi_sysresource0
    pcib0
      pci0
        agp0
        pcib1
          pci1
        pcib2
          pci2
            fxp0
              miibus0
                inphy0
            fxp1
              miibus1
                inphy1
        isab0
          isa0
            pmtimer0
            sc0
            vga0
            atkbdc0
              atkbd0
            orm0
        atapci0
          ata0
            ad0
          ata1
    pci_link0
    pci_link1
    pci_link2
    pci_link3
    pci_link4
    pci_link5
    pci_link6
    pci_link7
    acpi_sysresource1
    atpic0
    atdma0
    attimer0
    attimer1
    npxisa0
    sio0
    sio1
    ppc0
      ppbus0
        plip0
        lpt0
        ppi0
    acpi_tz0
    acpi_timer0

Could someone please tell me how to stop acpi0 from
grabbing sio0, without affecting fxp0?

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/