ACPI S3 and S5 Problem with HDD on ThinkPad R40

Rechistov Grigory ggg_mail at inbox.ru
Tue Jan 3 04:45:55 PST 2006

> Hello,
>
> I have been playing around with ACPI on my ThinkPad R40 (2722-BDG)
> recently. Suspend to RAM and Soft Off seem to work fine except for one
> thing. During S3 when the hard disk is supposed to be switched of it does
> switch off, but I do not like the sound it makes at that point. This is
> the same noise you get when switching off the notebook manually by force
> by pressing the power button long enough. When I power off the notebook
> using soft off (S5) you can observe the same problem.

I run FreeBSD on Samsung V30 laptop. When it is shutting down, everything works
fine, but I 've got the similar sound of "forced by button" power off. It sounds
dangerously for the HDD. Windows XP on this machine switches off more "softly".

I use the GENERIC kernel with minor changes.

I've heard about some commands (atacontrol ?) which allow to spin down hard
drive, so maybe we should just put them in shutdown script?