Kernel panic with ACPI enabled

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Tue Feb 7 22:01:58 PST 2006

Warner Losh wrote:
  >>Actually most modern computers don't physically have a slot for either
>>isa or eisa. Quite possibly either one would work. I have 'device eisa'
>>in my conf, it's also 'device eisa' in the GENERIC conf which is why I
>>mentioned it.
>
> The ISA bus still exists in most every machine today, although it is
> electrically incompatible with the original ISA bus and isn't an
> expansion bus for cards.  It lives on as LPC.  However, FreeBSD still
> treats LPC and ISA as the same thing since from a software perspective
> they basically are the same.

Just to clarify something wrong in a previous reply.  The southbridge
(ICH in Intel-language) doesn't contain the keyboard or mouse
controller, floppy, or other low speed devices.  Instead, those are on a
Super I/O chip that is attached via the LPC bus to the ICH.  The ICH
contains medium speed things like sound, ATA, USB, ethernet, etc.

> Adding device eisa can cause problems.  It causes reads to registers
> that many really don't implement anymore.  Since windows doesn't look
> at these registers, many motherboards have them broken.

Justin Gibbs and I fixed one hanging problem with the EISA probe a few
years back.  I'm not sure if there are others.

--
Nate