Kernel panic with ACPI enabled

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:37:57 PST 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 09:48, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 10:12, Przemysław Celej wrote:
> > John Baldwin wrote:

> > > What kernel are you using that breaks?  Is it a custom kernel
> > > config?
> >
> > Yes, here is the config (currently I'm using FreeBSD 6.0):
> > http://80.50.250.246/siano/forum/SYS-acpi-as-module.txt
> >
> > When I compile acpi directly into the kernel, I've got panic with
> > the same message as above (pmap_mapdev...).
> > Unfortunately I can't do backtrace, because kernel didn't mount
> > disk *before* panic, I will try to move function responsible for
> > mounting root device before pmap_mapdev().
>
> You can get a backtrace if you include DDB in your kernel and use
> 'tr' at the db> prompt after the panic.  It might be easier to
> capture it if you can setup a serial console.
>
> Also, you probably don't want the NO_MEMORY_HOLE (only applies to K6
> CPUs, you have an Athlon (K8)),  CPU_UPGRADE_HW_CACHE (only applies
> to PC-98 machines in Japan), CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU (only applies to
> Cyrix 5x86 CPUs), or CPU_SUSP_HLT (only applies to Cyrix CPUs)
> options.  You probably don't want the CPU_ATHLON_SSE_HACK unless you
> really need it as well, though it won't hurt.  Also, try removing the
> 'MAXMEM' option and letting the kernel figure out the mappings from
> the BIOS.  This might actually be the source of the panic since the
> kernel might be corrupting the ACPI tables due to the MAXMEM option.
>
> > Sorry, if my english is terrible, but I come from Poland.
> > Regards.
>
> It's not terrible at all. :)

I have a few things. Is there a reason you have 'device apm'? Are you
trying to use APM and ACPI at the same time? Why do you have 'device
isa' rather than 'device eisa'? Where you, by any chance, just re-using
your conf file from 5.x? It kind of looks that way. Have you looked at
i386/conf/NOTES? There is some more information in there.

Don