Powerd makes computer hang

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Aug 20 11:05:55 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-Aug-20 16:00:33 +1000, Tim Dettloff wrote:
>I have installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on my Compaq Presario 2656AU
>laptop, but it occasionally hangs. I traced the problem to powerd so I
>made a script that kept changing the clock rate by setting the sysctl
>dev.cpu.0.freq. This script normally makes the computer hang within 10
>seconds or so.

Sam Leffler noticed this on his nx6125 last December and I also
found the same problem on my nx6125 in early February.  It looks
like there's a race condition in the BIOS code.

>Any Ideas?

My current solution is to manually change the speed using sysctl.
This doesn't seem to trigger the problem quite as often (though your
laptop seems far more sensitive than mine).  I would also be interested
in any real solutions.

--
Peter Jeremy