Odd PCI and ACPI messages on 'INSYDE RSDT_000' laptop

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Tue Aug 1 15:12:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 12:33:58AM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last week I got a laptop from a few friends of mine with a broken
> screen. I removed the screen from the device and connected a regular CRT
> to it to install FreeBSD 6.1 on it for serving as a jukebox (silent,
> doesn't consume too much power).
>
> I first tried FreeSBIE 1.1, which just deadlocked during the bootsplash.
> After that I downloaded a FreeBSD 6.1 CD. When I boot FreeBSD 6.1
> without the ACPI kernel module, it panics (fatal trap 12) right after
> probing uhci0. When I boot with ACPI, it boots like it should. Because
> the laptop doesn't have a serial connector, I didn't copy the kernel
> backtrace. If it is really needed, I'll boot the CD once again and type
> over the screen contents.
>
> Anyway, I installed FreeBSD 6.1 on it, with the ACPI module loaded, but
> I still get some really strange messages in my dmesg I thought would be
> useful to mention:

> | cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> | acpi_perf0: <ACPI CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
> | acpi_perf0: failed in PERF_STATUS attach
> | device_attach: acpi_perf0 attach returned 6
> | acpi_perf0: <ACPI CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
> | acpi_perf0: failed in PERF_STATUS attach
> | device_attach: acpi_perf0 attach returned 6

This means you can't get configuration for speedstep on this processor
via ACPI because something is broken into the bios.

But since we have that:

> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz (1498.73-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x695  Stepping = 5
                                    ^^^
speedstep should work if you put:
cpufreq_load="YES"
into /boot/loader.conf
and you don't need acpi_perf anyway.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.