Lock up when going to 'economy mode' (battery)

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Thu Apr 27 21:33:57 UTC 2006

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Here's another thing I noticed (unrelated to above):
>
> I booted with the main battery, and had a dvd drive in the option bay.
> Unplug the AC, battery remaining time shows about 4 hours.
> Plug AC back in.
> Then did:
> atacontrol detach ata1
> and removed the dvd drive.
> Then, I inserted the secondary battery.
> I didn't notice anything (no battery charging, no dmesg info, etc).
>
> I then unplugged the AC, and the battery remaining time shows '-1'.
>
> Hints?

Battery bay hotplug detection is not yet implemented.  If you boot with
the battery in, then do the swap and back, it will work.  I have a local
patch that implements it but it's not stable enough to commit.  It
handled hotplug of lots of devices, and last I remember hung up on lpt
hotplug.  I think iwasaki@ fixed this with his acpi_dock commit.

Now that acpi_dock has been added to -current, it may make sense to
re-test my patch.

--
Nate