Fwd: Audio problem after resume fixed!

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 22:32:23 PDT 2005

On 23/10/05, Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:
> Since back before FreeBSD 5.0 I have had a problem where my audio lost
> sync after a suspend/resume when ACPI was used on my ThinkPad T30. (No
> problems with APM, last I tried it.) As a result, I have not used
> suspend on my laptop very much.
>
> Every now and then, when I see commits that appear relevant, I try
> again, and one minute of audio will play in 50 seconds, not sounding too
> good while it is at it.
>
> Well, as of about 2 weeks ago, it works! I can now suspend and resume
> and everything seems to work. I can't say for sure, but I think imp's
> recent power state work is responsible. I know it worked VERY briefly
> when he did his first commit of power state code long ago, but after
> fixing lots of problems the original code caused, it never worked
> again.
>
> As of today I can suspend in either text or X11 and resume works. The
> only MINOR issue is that the video does not come back on when I resume
> in X11. I just switch to a vty until the back-light comes on and then go
> back to X.
>
> I still see rather high power consumption while suspended and I intend
> to play with power states to see if I can improve the situation. I also
> need to get radeontool.
>
> In any case, thanks to imp, Nate, Bruno, and all the folks who have made
> a mammoth contribution of time to make ACPI work well on FreeBSD.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman at es.net                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634

A possible solution to the resuming video thing would be the
suspend.vty_switch_enable or similar flag (I don't have access to my
freebsd install for the moment, but `sysctl -d | grep switch` should
give you the name.  Also, for power consumption, you'll probably want
to see if usb is getting shut down (try suspending with a usb device
with a light or fan or something plugged in) and you might want to see
if radeontool helps.  http://www.init-main.com/radeontoolport.tar.gz
(if you have a radeon of course ...)

If you go exploring and find any secrets to thinkpad suspend power
consumption, please share them on the -mobile or -acpi lists.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.