Audio problem after resume fixed!

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Oct 22 15:25:34 PDT 2005

Since back before FreeBSD 5.0 I have had a problem where my audio lost
sync after a suspend/resume when ACPI was used on my ThinkPad T30. (No
problems with APM, last I tried it.) As a result, I have not used
suspend on my laptop very much.

Every now and then, when I see commits that appear relevant, I try
again, and one minute of audio will play in 50 seconds, not sounding too
good while it is at it.

Well, as of about 2 weeks ago, it works! I can now suspend and resume
and everything seems to work. I can't say for sure, but I think imp's
recent power state work is responsible. I know it worked VERY briefly
when he did his first commit of power state code long ago, but after
fixing lots of problems the original code caused, it never worked
again.

As of today I can suspend in either text or X11 and resume works. The
only MINOR issue is that the video does not come back on when I resume
in X11. I just switch to a vty until the back-light comes on and then go
back to X.

I still see rather high power consumption while suspended and I intend
to play with power states to see if I can improve the situation. I also
need to get radeontool.

In any case, thanks to imp, Nate, Bruno, and all the folks who have made
a mammoth contribution of time to make ACPI work well on FreeBSD.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)