FIC VA-503+ and ACPI and floppy don't mix

george+freebsd at m5p.com george+freebsd at m5p.com
Thu Oct 20 12:03:57 PDT 2005

 have been experimenting with 6.0-RC1, and i'm pretty happy with the
improvements I'm seeing in ACPI.  On my Compaq R3120US, ACPI used to
hang up the keyboard, and now it appears to be 99% working, with these
minor exceptions culled from the system log:

acpi0: reservation of 62, 2 (4) failed
acpi0: reservation of 65, b (4) failed

acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (200.0C)

Any ideas what this means?  And is there some way I can back-port the
working part of ACPI back to my 5.4-RELEASE system which is currently
installed?

On a completely different machine, ACPI has always interfered with the
operation of the floppy controller, and 6.0-RC1 still exhibits this
behavior.  The machine has a FIC VA-503+ motherboard, and I have a
dmesg booting verbosely with ACPI at:

http://www.m5p.com/~george/dmesg-6.0-acpi-verbose.txt

and booting verbosely without ACPI at:

http://www.m5p.com/~george/dmesg-6.0-no-acpi-verbose.txt

Anything I can do to help get my floppy working with ACPI enabled?
-- George Mitchell