ACPI regression on IBM x336, dual Xeon EM64T, FreeBSD 6.0-BETA5

Hroi Sigurdsson hroi at ngdc.net
Thu Oct 6 06:03:03 PDT 2005

Hi.

The new ACPI code in FreeBSD 6.0/amd64 is causing hard lock-ups on IBM
x336 servers during boot, right after printing:

Timecounter *mumble* frequency *mumble* Hz quality *mumble*
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec

I haven't been able to gather more than that from 6.0, unfortunately due
to KVM limitations.

Setting hint.acpi.0.disabled=1 enables booting, but then the second CPU
isn't found. BIOS version is 1.11 (newest).
FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE does not have this problem (We went with 6.0 for the
improved mpt driver, but decided to run 5.4 with the mpt driver from 6.0
instead).

Various debug output gathered from 5.4 is at
http://quentin.asdf.dk/~hroi/freebsd/

How can I help debug this further? I have another spare (single-CPU)
x336 available to test with. I can hook it to serial console server, IP
KVM and remote power switch if needed.

--
Hroi Sigurdsson · NetGroup DataCenter A/S
St. Kongensgade 40H · DK-1264 Copenhagen K, Denmark