system hangs on boot up

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Sat Oct 1 16:03:48 PDT 2005

I'm having a possibly similar problem with a Toshiba 8100.

Symptoms are that trying to boot from a kernel from the past few days
locks up after atapci0 is called; the kernel I compiled in May 2005 boots
OK.  Changing the "hw.pci.enable_io_modes=0" doesn't fix the problem;
however, replacing the acpi.ko module in /boot/kernel with the one from
the May 2005 kernel does allow the system to boot.

Since this appears to at least be ACPI related I'm going to run the usual
ACPI diagnostics and make them available.

Mike Squires