System freezes when using ACPI

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Fri Nov 25 14:26:02 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 02:55:13PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
> hey list,
>
> i installed a fresh 6.0 stable system on my machine.
>
> when using acpi the system freezes after less than 10 minutes.
> with disabled acpi there is no such problem and the system runs fine.
>
> i am new to freebsd so i dont know all the things which may influence
> the acpi driver to misbehave.
>
> i attached the outputs which are mentioned in the handbook.
>
> the system is:
>
> asus a7n8x deluxe rev 2.0 bios 1008
> amd athlon xp 3000+ fsb 400
> 1 gb ddr400 ram
> nforce 2 chipset (firewire disabled)
> sapphire radeon 9800 pro
>
> if there are any further information required to get the system work
> properly ...

Looks like when you enable ACPI then APIC will be used for
interrupts whereas ATPIC will be used whithout ACPI.

I guess the problem come from APIC, not ACPI (unless of course the
configuration things coming from ACPI is wrong).

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.