ACPI problems with Dell laptops (was: Laptop choices)

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Wed Nov 23 23:01:34 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:51:20PM +0100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 November 2005 at 17:12:46 -0800, Graham North wrote:
> > Am currently trying to choose between a couple of laptops, the luck
> > winner of which will have Freebsd loaded alongside WinXP.
> >
> > Dell Latitude d600 with Radeon 9000? video, intel pro wireless
> > or
> > IBM R51 - Intel Extreme2, intel pro wireless.
> > The main differences will likely be the video and maybe bios, acpi...?
> > Can someone suggest to me whether these are both safe choices?
> > Am I better off installing 5.4 or 6.0?
>
> I've had both Dell and ThinkPad (no longer IBM).  I prefer Dell,
> despite their attempts to convince me otherwise.
>
> However, we currently seem to have significant ACPI problems with Dell
> laptops.  I'm writing this on an Inspiron 6000 running 7-CURRENT, but
> the same problems occur with 6.0: if I enable ACPI, timing goes to
> hell, and some things just time out.

Is *that* what's happening to my 6000 running CURRENT?

I've noticed that under load my bfe0 interface sometimes just wanders
off and needs to be re-ifconfiged to get going again.  And its
throughput generally sucks, but I haven't had a chance to try to run
things down.

If you want someone to check patches or try to reproduce problems,
please let me know.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc