Call for testers: New acpi_ibm driver

Markus Brueffer markus at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 31 03:26:34 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 03:55, takawata at jp.freebsd.org wrote:
> In message <200505301857.20346.markus at FreeBSD.org>, Markus Brueffer wrote:
> >In any case: Please send me your DSDT for further improvement of the
> > driver= =20
> >(even if you run FreeBSD 5):
> ># acpidump -t -d > name-system.asl
>
> http://www.init-main.com/acpi_tpkey/TPX31JHJ.asl

Thanks!

> >Changes:
> >
> > Relocation of the sysctl tree to hw.acpi.ibm and renaming of some
> > sysctls
>
> I don't think it a good thing. New device specific tree
> should not be introduced.

I tried to get the sysctls more in line with our other ACPI extras drivers,
which all reside under hw.acpi.<brand> and hence the rename of e.g.
brightness->lcd_brightness and the relocation of the tree. Is there some
policy where such stuff belongs to?

> > Support for more hotkeys by the hotkey sysctl (see manpage)
> > Improved support of ACPI events, disabled by default. You can enable it
> > by setting the events sysctl to 1 (on my T41p there are now 24
> > different keypress events that get reported)
> > write support for: volume, mute, brightness and thinklight
>
> Is it ok to  touch EC? I know the two way of impliment it.
> One is modifying RTC register, another is using SMI interface
> via ACPI control method.

Writing to the EC directly is nothing more that accessing the locations via
acpi_SetInteger. While I would highly prefer the latter method, the problem
is, that several places of the EC in the DSDT aren't even named or only
named on some models. Consider e.g. setting volume and mute. Here is a
snippet of a T41p DSDT:

                Device (EC)
                {
[...]
                    OperationRegion (ECOR, EmbeddedControl, 0x00, 0x0100)
                    Field (ECOR, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                    {
                        HDBM,   1,
                            ,   1,
                            ,   1,
[...]
                        HFSP,   8,
                            ,   6,    <-- Volume
                        HMUT,   1,    <-- Mute
                        Offset (0x31),
                        HBRV,   8,    <-- Brightness
                        HWPM,   1,

Volume doesn't have a name on any Thinkpad I have seen so far, Mute and
Brightness only on some. But the offset for directly accessing the EC is
always the same.

> > led(4) interface for the thinklight (thanks simon)
> > support for reading the fan status and speed
> > support for reading up to 8 thermal sensors
>
> Works great.

Thanks for testing.

Markus

--