cpufreq on 5.4R

Takashi Inoue takash-i at sophia.ac.jp
Mon May 30 02:32:00 PDT 2005

Hi Friends,

I'm using 5.4R on my ThinkPad X40 with Pentium M 1.0GHz.
I have some questions.

1) I cannot find cpufreq.ko in 5.4R. Is it normal?

"man cpufreq" shows manual of the framework.
But I cannot use it.  Is it correct on 5.4R?

2) If so, what should I do to reduce cpu frequency?

Now, cpu frequency is always 1GHz even with very light cpu load.
Therefore it is hot and noisy and it eats much power.
Currently 5.4R is stupid OS at here, if I do nothing.

3) Does est and estctrl in ports works on 5.4R?

I've installed and run them. But, frequency which est tells and
sysctl -a dev.cpu.0.freq tells are different.
I'm not sure but it seems that frequency is not changed.
What is the relation between est(in ports) and
cpufreq framework on 5.4R?

Give me suggestions. Thanks.

One good news. S3 suspend/resume is fine on X40 if I turn off apic.

Cheers, Takashi