Toshiba Portégé 4000 laptop

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed May 4 09:42:56 PDT 2005

> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:04:31 +0200
> From: Laurent Debacker <debackerl at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>
> Hi
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RC3 on a Toshiba Port=E9g=E9 4000 laptop. I'm
> running the kernel in ACPI mode, with Toshiba ACPI extension enabled.
>
> When my laptop wake up, the screen becomes white from the bottom to
> the top, always brighter and brighther until completely white. However
> the screen is not perfectly white, it's a bit odd, a bit as if the LCD
> would be transparent. What I need to do is to switch the video output.
>
> I always tried to suspend my laptop using the /usr/sbin/zzz command
> once. When it waked up, I think the disk's driver wasn't reloaded.
> Indeed when I asked FreeBSD to shut down, it couldn't sync the inodes.
>
> I tried to suspend it using Gnoppix, and I got no screen problem.
>
> I'd be glad to help you to enhance the ACPI system of FreeBSD. Just
> tell me what to type. And how to not loss all my inodes :p I don't
> want to pass another 10hours or so to reinstall and reconfigure my
> lovely FreeBSD.
>
> I'm a C/C++/C# developper, but with not much real experience since I'm
> still a student.

Been there, seen that. What is happening is the the graphics card is no
longer talking to the display. I used to see this on my IBM T30,
although mine was not very uniform. It would just start "blooming" to
white in various areas. I thought of it as the literal display of bit
rot.

You might try playing with some sysctls like hw.acpi.reset_video and
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch. Also, have you tried John Baldwin's
acpi_video_dpms patch? I need it for the Radeon on my T30.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)