[cpufreq] powernow drivers

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Fri Mar 11 05:37:41 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:34:01PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Bruno Ducrot wrote:
> >The powernow stuff is nearly complete but need testings and more
> >cleanup, especially the 2 drivers shoud be merged.
> >I'm providing them right now at
> >http://www.poupinou.org/cpufreq/bsd/powernow.tar.gz
> >before the merge because I maybe offline for one or two weeks in
> >a few days.
> >
> >The powernow k6 is not finished, but mainly because I dont have the
> >hardware.  It would be fine though that I know for sure that someone
> >test it before I make it public, so if you have a cyrix K6/II or III
> >with powernow! capability and you want to test please write me.
>
> Excellent, your work looks really nice.  Just a few comments:
>
> Please remove my name from the copyright.  You did all the work and I
> just provided suggestions.
>
> Both drivers should just add a child called "powernow" instead of
> k*_powernow.  You can't have k7 and k8 powernow on the same system,
> right?  They can announce what hardware they are via device_set_desc()
> which it appears you're already doing.  Also, DRIVER_MODULE for them
> should not have "pn8" as the first arg.

I got a message like "cpu/pn already exist" or so if I do that.  That's
why I have to do a pn7/pn8 distinction for the DRIVER_MODULE.

> You can remove the check for a freq >= 0xffff.  I committed this to
> acpi_perf already.

Done.

> Have you tested the ACPI attachment for this?  Does it work ok?  I'm
> just curious because I don't have hw to test acpi-assisted probing.

This work like a charm, or else I would have send to you a complaint
already ;)

> It looks like these can be merged pretty easily.  Once you've done that,
> I'd like to import this driver.

I'm not sure if I will have time right now to do so.  I will do this
this week-end before my vacation.
It's also why I have send this email to acpi- before that merge so
that people can atleast have those drivers to play with.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.