Strange problems with ACPI/APM on IBM Thinkpad T43

Matthias Schmidt schmidtm at mathematik.uni-marburg.de
Sun Jul 24 09:08:42 GMT 2005

[ Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to freebsd-acpi ]

Hi,

I experienced some strange problems with ACPI or APM on my IBM Thinkpad T43 (Type
2668) and FreeBSD 6.0-BETA.

To enable suspend2RAM I tried the following things:

o ACPI

  If ACPI is enabled, suspend work without problems.  If I try to resume the
  machine freezes and the following message is displayed:

  ioapic_suspend: not implemented!
  ioapic_suspend: not implemented!
  [...]
  ioapic_suspend: not implemented!
  acpi_bus_number: can't get _ADR
  [freeze]

  If I set hint.apic.0.disabled to 1 the laptop resumes fine.  Now the strange
  thing:  Everything is incredible slow.  Normal working/typing is nearly
  impossible. Why?

o APM

  I disabled ACPI and enabled APM to get Suspend working.  With the GENERIC
  kernel [2] Suspend/Resume is working fine.  But I can't suspend while X is
  running, I have to switch back to console.

  If I compile a custom kernel [3] to get rid of some debugging stuff Suspend
  with APM isn't working anymore!?  Did I something wrong?

Maybe it's a problem with the builtin ICH6M SATA Controller?  For further
information: My dmesg [1], the GENERIC kernel config [2], my own kernel config
[3] and the output of pciconf -l -v [4].

Greets

	Matthias

[1] http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~schmidtm/dmesg
[2] http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~schmidtm/GENERIC