can't see nuthin'

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 13 17:17:11 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 05:14 pm, KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > okay sorry.. i can see my hard drive but i am not sure i can see
> > > my modem or my wireless modem and right now the biggie is the
> > > SD card reader.. i thought maybe the complete listing of dmesg
> > > that i sent but some 'bot i think told me the email was too big..
> > > would tell you there are lots of problems
> >
> > Ok, first off, can you provide the output of 'pciconf -l'?
>
> BUILD: 165 lines, 4323 characters.
> (root at www) 111> pciconf -l
> none0 at pci0:31:5:        class=0x040100 card=0x17131043 chip=0x24c58086
> rev=0x03
> hdr=0x00

This is your sound card and should work fine if you just 'kldload snd_ich' I
believe.

> none1 at pci0:31:6:        class=0x070300 card=0x18261043 chip=0x24c68086
> rev=0x03
> hdr=0x00

This is your modem and it is some sort of winmodem.  I'm not sure if there are
any ports that support this modem for FreeBSD.

> none3 at pci2:2:0: class=0x028000 card=0x10008086 chip=0x42238086 rev=0x05
> hdr=0x00

Not sure what this is.  The class code is for an "ethernet controller, other",
and the closest ID in pci_vendors is:

        4220    PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

So this is probably your wireless card.  Not sure about your SD reader as I
don't see it in your PCI device list.

> (root at www) 112>
>
> >It looks like your
> > modem is a PCI device.  If it is a winmodem, then it might not be
> > supported (some winmodems do work with some drivers available in ports).
> > Also, are you trying to use a PCMCIA card in your first slot?
>
> the day after that maybe i went to San Francisco State University
> to try to do my assignment for a graduate course called
> distributed systems.  i dropped the class last semester and
> the prof agreed to help me werk on the assignment this summer
> so i could take the course in fall.. we have to install a
> middleware called MICO (mini corba but now "mico is corba"
> because it has grown).. that didn't werk, and he told me i
> needed a stable version of freeBSD.. (i have 6.0 on partition
> ad0s1)..

You should be able to build mico from ports (ports/devel/mico) just fine on
either 5.x or 6.0.

> then i found out that in the side of my puter, there is like
> a PCMCIA flash memory card reader that operates on a
> high bandwith PCI bus (i am reading the small hardware
> manual that came with the puter ) and accepts several
> different types of small mass storage devices.. i have
> took the little plastic plug out and stuck my 256MB
> foto card in and left it there since.. i don't know
> how to mount the thing.

Well, not sure what to tell you there as I can't make enough out of this to
know exactly where the SD card reader should be.