Resume problem with mouse, 5.3

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jan 27 13:20:17 PST 2005

> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:31:12 -0800
> From: Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>

> --------------010609090008080106080905
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >>From: Ian Soboroff <ian.soboroff at nist.gov>
> >>I am running with the acpi_video patch, and I can have the laptop in
> >>S3 suspend for about a weekend.  (This is with the high-cap main
> >>battery and an expansion bay battery, btw.)  APM suspend indeed breaks
> >>something as I could never resume from it.
> >>
> >>There was a recent patch mentioned which I am planning to try as
> >>well.  I know I should be able to achieve better suspended battery
> >>life, since I could go a week or two in APM suspend from Linux.
> >>
> >>(Before I get labelled a Linux troll, I'm a recent convert to FreeBSD
> >>on my laptop and like it a lot so far... slimmer memory footprint and
> >>much better documented.  ACPI suspend never worked for me under Linux,
> >>so APM there is all I have to compare with.  Battery drain under
> >>suspend means I have to carry around a power cord again, and that's no
> >>fun.  I'm happy to test stuff as time permits.)
> >

> > Look in the archives for acpi_pwr5.diff. The posting is by njl@ (Nate
> > Lawson). It will improve power management capability for PCI
> > devices. (It puts them in standby mode on a suspend to RAM.)
>
> Attached, for convenience.  BTW, does anyone have problems introduced
> when running with this patch or do you think it's safe for MFC?

I have had no problems at all, and I have heard from a few other, none
of whom have had a problem.

I have not tested as to whether it really improves power consumption,
but it does not seem to cause any problems. At least one person has sent
a note that it really did not make a difference for him, though. But I
have no reason to think that it should not be MFC'd.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)