AMD64 CPU and ACPI (was Re: Configuration of Compaq R3000)

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Thu Jan 27 11:56:43 PST 2005

On 2005-01-27T13:59:29-0500, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Thursday 27 January 2005 10:52 am, Kelly Black wrote:
> > Hello,

> Did you use 'acpi_ppc' driver?

> http://www.spa.is.uec.ac.jp/~nfukuda/software/

> You need this driver to run your laptop at full speed.  CPU speed will
> be automatically adjusted by CPU load.  However, it may take few
> seconds to get to the speed.  You can set the speed manually by:

> sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.px_control=0

> Please read comment in the acpi_ppc.c for more info.

Whoo-hoo!!!  This works on my machine (Sager 4750V) so far, and gives
wonderful information:

hw.acpi.cpu.px_control: -1
hw.acpi.cpu.px_highest: 0
hw.acpi.cpu.px_lowest: 2
hw.acpi.cpu.px_current: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.px_supported: 2200 1800 800
hw.acpi.cpu.px_usage: 4.62% 25.70% 69.66%

(running `make clean' in /usr/ports just to push it a little)

This is great!  Thanks so much for posting this!  This completely makes
sense now that I would see the CPU speed reported as ~801MHz when the
machine would boot up.  I can't thank you enough.

What are the chances that this could be imported into current?  I am
running...

# uname -a
FreeBSD gambit.gargantuan.com 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #0: Mon
Jan 10 18:33:07 EST 2005
mwoliver at gambit.gargantuan.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GAMBIT  amd64

> Unfortunately if you run this laptop under heavy CPU load, CPU will
> heat up pretty fast and 'acpi_ec' will adjust delay to prevent
> excessive heat.  You can ignore this behavior by hacking acpi_ec.c, I
> believe but it's really bad idea.

I do see some ACPI errors on my laptop when I boot it up, such as:

(dmesg -a | grep -i acpi):
acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization start
acpi_acad0: acline initialization start
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_acad0: On Line
acpi_acad0: acline initialization done, tried 1 times
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 70 us
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 100 us
acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization failed, giving up   <-- ugh!
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 130 us
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 170 us
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 900 us
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 11000 us
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)

acpidump stuff is here:
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/acpidump.asl
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/dsdt.out
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/sysctl_hw.acpi

> Laptop is not for number crunching after all. ;-)

ooops!  ;)

--
Mike Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]