HEADSUP: cpufreq import complete, acpi_throttling changed

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 21 17:17:08 PST 2005

On 21 Feb, Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:21:32 -0800, Nate Lawson <nate at root.org> wrote:
>> I've finished the major work of importing cpufreq.  As part of this, the
>> sysctls for acpi throttling have been removed.  The power_profile script
>> has been updated, so you can use performance/economy_cpu_freq= in
>> rc.conf to set AC on/offline cpu frequencies.  The acpi throttling
>> support has been compiled into acpi_perf.ko so load that to get
>> throttling.  Do a sysctl dev.cpu to get an understanding of the cpufreq
>> sysctls.
>
> I have been using cpufreq on and off since this got comitted and just
> noticed a problem now.  I can't really say when it started happening,
> but I can say that it happens with a current from about 2 hours ago.
> What happens is when I kldload cpufreq, usb stops working.  If I have
> a device that was already connected, it gets disconnected, I am unable
> to connect any new devices.  It's just completely unresponsive.
> Whatever the issue is, it does not help to kldunload cpufreq, I am
> forced to reboot to get USB working again.  The system is an IBM
> Thinkpad R40.  I can give you whatever relevant info you need on
> request.

My R40 has had a similar problem since at least December (the first time
I tried to use my USB mouse in quite some time).  Part way through the
boot process it powers down the USB ports and the mouse LEDs go dark.  I
haven't had time to investigate.