HEADSUP: cpufreq import complete, acpi_throttling changed
oberman at es.net
Mon Feb 14 08:41:48 PST 2005
> Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:33:27 -0800
> From: Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >>Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:21:32 -0800
> >>From: Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>
> >>Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
> >>If you have throttling, please test the new configuration to be sure it
> >>still works as before. Final upcoming work will be manpage support and
> >>bugfixing as necessary.
> > On my T30, throttling has simply vanished. Kernel sources as of this
> > afternoon at about 11:00 PST.
> > sysctl hw.acpi does not list any throttling entries at all.
> It shouldn't, they were merged into the sysctl dev.cpu output as you
> mention below.
> > It does list an amazing number of frequency settings, but only 1800 and
> > 1200 seem to actually work. Perhaps the others are derived by mixing the
> > two capabilities? On the earlier versions of cpufreq I was getting only
> > the two frequencies listed along with the 8 throttling states.
> > Did I miss a message on this?
> Try cvsupping to now. I did some commits about an hour or two ago that
> should address throttling not attaching.
> > I am especially concerned because my CPU is now running VERY hot when
> > busy. It never used to exceed about 180F and now it quickly jumps to
> > 190+ when the system is working (such as a buildkernel). Since it was
> > previously running without throttling, I don't understand why things are
> > suddenly worse.
> > Any idea on what is happening? I don't want to fry my T30.
> One person reported Cx states being broken by the cpufreq import.
> (Well, actually he got a C3 state that he didn't have before but it
> didn't work.) Try setting hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest to C1 or something
> you're sure works.
> Send me the output of sysctl dev.cpu, dmesg, and devinfo -rv.
Things are better now, and it was not really an ACPI issue.
For about the millionth time I remind myself: Only change one thing at a
At the same time that I started running cpufreq and acpi_perf, I also
switched from 4BSD to ULE. This is why the system started running so
Throttling is now working correctly and I can keep my CPU at about 175(F)
degrees or a kernel build by lowering the "frequency" from 1800 to
1350. My dmesg shows ACPI throttling setting up fine:
cpu0: <ACPI CPU (3 Cx states)> on acpi0
acpi_perf0: <ACPI CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
I guess all I have really done is demonstrate that ULE is much more
efficient than 4BSD.
Thanks for the quick response and sorry for the false alarm.
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
E-mail: oberman at es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634
More information about the freebsd-acpi