Machine refuses to boot with ACPI enabled by default

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Sun Feb 13 12:34:20 PST 2005

Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> I've got a strange problem wrt. ACPI on one of my boxes under FreeBSD
> 5.3: The box comes up with ACPI *disabled* by default.
>
> Only by manually selecting the menu option that says "Boot with ACPI
> enabled" can I make the box run ACPI which is kinda annoying when
> e.g. I remotely reboot the box - after the reboot it comes up without
> ACPI and as a consequence SMP turned off.
>
> To cross check that it's not a config issue I've "diffed" the files in
> /boot between the machine in question and another one that runs with
> ACPI enabled by default - absolutely no differences. One box
> (different hardware) runs with ACPI, this one runs with ACPI disabled
> by default.

Sorry about the long reply time.

> So my questions are:
>
> 1) How can I make this box boot with ACPI enabled by default?

In your /boot/loader.conf, set:
hint.acpi.0.disabled="0"

> 2) Why does this box come up without ACPI by default after all?

I checked the quirks table and found nothing that should match your
machine.  Can you send a full dmesg of booting when acpi is
automatically disabled?  There's usually a quirk message printed if this
is the case.

--
Nate