Ethernet cards not working - Interrrupt routing problem?

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Sat Feb 12 16:22:00 PST 2005

Frank wrote:
> [I posted this message on -STABLE yesterday, but I got a mail,
> that I should try this mailing list instead. Also I forgot to
> mention that the machine in question is a Fujitsu Siemens
> Primergy RX300 -- thanks for any advice, Frank]
>
> I have a weird problem with hardware that runs fine under FreeBSD 4.9
> but is unusable under FreeBSD 5.3. The problem concentrates apparently
> arround interrupt assignments, the Adaptec scsci card in combination
> with the Ethernet cards.

The difference is that 4.9 doesn't support full IOAPIC, 5.x does.  The
first thing you should do is upgrade your BIOS to the latest stable
version.  There were some problems with older ServerWorks BIOSen.  If
that doesn't work, send dmesg from boot -v.

> ACPI APIC Table: <PTLTD       APIC  >
> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz (2666.78-MHz 686-class CPU)
>  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
>  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
> real memory  = 536870912 (512 MB)
> avail memory = 515682304 (491 MB)
> ioapic0 <Version 1.1> irqs 0-15 on motherboard
> ioapic1 <Version 1.1> irqs 16-31 on motherboard
> npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
> npx0: INT 16 interface
> acpi0: <PTLTD   RSDT> on motherboard

Yep, ServerWorks which we all know and love.  :)

--
Nate