"no carrier" on vr0 caused by suspend (FreeBSD 6.0)

Jin Guojun [VFFS] j_guojun at lbl.gov
Mon Dec 26 16:17:49 PST 2005

Adriaan de Groot wrote:

>On Monday 26 December 2005 17:44, Alexander Konovalenko wrote:
>

>>recently I have upgraded my AMD Athlono-XP laptop to 6.0 STABLE,
>>everything works fine, even suspending with zzz works except
>>network interface vr0 which is in state "no carrier" right after wake up.
>>The only thing which helps is reboot.
>>

>I just finished working on a Via C3-mini ITX box, also with a vr0 interface;
>it's not a laptop, but I felt it needed to suspend anyway. Suspend into S3
>causes the vr0 to hang on resume, in my case with regular vr0: watchdog
>timeout messages.
>
>Solution: reset the driver.
>
>Implementation: build a custom kernel with _no_ vr interface built in. Make
>sure vr is built as a module. In the suspend script, unload the module. In
>resume, reload it, then run rc.d/netif and rc.d/routing. For simple machines
>with uncomplicated interfaces and routing, that ought to do the trick.

Just bought a ECS P4M800-M7 (V3.1), and had some problems on vr0 with
FreeBSD 6.0.
Without carrier, system hangs. With cable plugged in, vr0 doesn't work
properly.
Dhclient fails. Even manually ifconfig vr0 to a IP, machine cannot ping
the gateway.
Plugged in a fxp0 NIC and dhclient works on fxp0.
So, I wonder if this vr driver issue or is it a bad NIC? (vr0 is on
board NIC).

--
------------ Jin Guojun ----------- v --- jin at george.lbl.gov ---
Distributed Systems Department		http://www.dsd.lbl.gov/~jin