Annoyances with passive thermal code (acpi_thermal)

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 14 19:07:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

>>>>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:38:42 -0700
>>>>> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net> said:

oberman> I've noted an unpleasant mis-behavior in acpi_thermal.

oberman> 1. Killed powerd
oberman> 2. Set dev.cpu.0.freq to 1200 (I was on batteries and wanted to stretch
oberman>    them)
oberman> 3. Started a BIG build...openoffice

oberman> The temp went up over _PSV and the CPU was slowed to 1050. The CPU
oberman> cooled for a while and the freq was reset to 1800 which started draining
oberman> my battery way too fast.

It's curious that even when CPU speed is slowed, the temperature go up
over _PSV.

oberman> Ideally, acpi_thermal should store the frequency when it cuts speed and
oberman> restore that speed when the CPU cools, not the maximum speed.

CPUFREQ_SET() does it, actually.  However, since CPU speed is restored
by degrees, we couldn't use the facility effectively.  Please try the
attached patch.

Sincerely,