ACPI problem with DELL Inspiron 8100

Karsten Rothemund photor at photor.de
Tue Apr 5 14:19:44 PDT 2005

Hello

I have an ACPI-related problem with my DELL Inspiron 8100 (running on
FreeBSD  5.3 at the moment; the DELL BIOS is A15). In principle the
machine is running well: fans are functioning and the batteries are charged.

And, I can shutdown the machine using the power button :-) Great! But I
 am not able to suspend the machine tor RAM. If I use <Fn>-<ESC> (which
is the combination to suspend from keyboard) the machine get autistic
and the hard disk LED blinks; only way out is the power button. The same
happens, if I type "acpiconf -s 3".

This happens with the original BIOS and with a asl-file found at
acpi.sourceforge.net and loaded at boot-time. The result was the same
:-( Is there any information, I haven't found up to now. Any sites or
documents to consult?

If possible I also want to use "the suspend to disk". (hw.acpi.s4bios is
set to 1). Problem is the disk-partition (I have reserved a slice at the
beginning of the hard disk, type is DOS at the moment). Any hints here?

If you need any additional info, I will provide it.

Thank you for any help,

--

Karsten Rothemund <photor at photor.de>      /"\
PGP-Key:     0x094AE55F                   \ /