Dell Inspiron 4000 woes

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Sat Sep 25 12:24:52 PDT 2004

Samuel Stringham wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 4000, which is running 5.3-BETA5.
> I am unable to get the ACPI to function correctly on this
> machine.  I have dug around google for hours, looked
> through the source (though I am not quite familiar enough
> to make changes), but could not find any great howtos on
> getting the suspend/resume working how I would like.

If suspend/resume is vital, try apm.  There are still some problems with
suspend/resume, many of them in the display system (handled by X.)

> S3: will detach pcmcia wireless card, spin down hard drive,
> not sure about CPU stepping.  When suspending from X, it
> first switches to console, then turns off for a second,
> then turns back on completely _white_.

There's an option, like SYSCONS_NO_VTY_SWITCH (or similar), that
disables that switch.  See if it helps.

> So, I have come to realize that S3 will probably be my best
> bet.  However, I can't get the monitor to turn off.  I was
> wondering if anyone else had any good hints on getting this
> working correctly.

Turning off the monitor requires DPMS support and a proper PCI/AGP video
driver.

--
Nate