ACPI -> shutdown

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Oct 27 15:37:18 PDT 2004

In message: <20041027222648.GC745 at genius.tao.org.uk>
            Josef Karthauser <joe at freebsd.org> writes:
: On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:12:23AM +0200, Ingo B?ngener wrote:
: > >
: > > Is it the bios that is doing this?  It's never worked before - I'd say
: > > that you guys have fixed ACPI and that's why it is working, but why does
: > > -p not work then?
: > >
: >
: > I experienced the same problem with 'shutdown -p' and could fix it by setting
: > the sysctl variable "hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff" to "0":
: > > sysctl hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff=0
: > or adding hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff=0  to /etc/sysctl.conf
: >
:
: It definitely appears that acpi isn't loaded:
:
:     genius# sysctl -a | grep acpi
:     [nothing]
:
: That said with things in this state suspend/resume actually works! :)

You must be using the BIOS to do this, or maybe APM.  However, ACPI S
states are quite a bit different.

Warner