ASUS P5A broken by ACPI black-list

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Oct 6 13:15:26 PDT 2004

> From: John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:20:44 -0400
>
> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 04:32 pm, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>
> > > Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:09:44 -0400

> > > First, do you have a floppy drive?  IRQ 6 should be used for your floppy
> > > drive if so.  Note that $PIR says that IRQ 6 is not an option for your
> > > link devices but ACPI does.  In the non-APCI case we use IRQ 10 for both
> > > xl0 and pcm0. Are you saying that in that case pcm0 works but xl0 does
> > > not?
> >
> > The sound card works fine with ACPI but, without ACPI it fails. The
> > first tone in the file plays continuously, like there are no interrupts
> > from the sound card. :-)
>
> Ok, well, it seems your BIOS is too busted for non-ACPI to work out of the
> box, you can try setting a hint to force the link for your sound card to use
> IRQ 6.  Something like 'set hw.pci.link.0x4.irq=6', or maybe
> 'hw.pci.link.0x04.irq' if that doesn't work.
>
> --
> John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
> "Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =  http://www.FreeBSD.org

Thanks, John.

This was actually an effort to avoid causing problems for people
upgrading to V5 with this card. I have no problems with running
ACPI. But, since it's blacklisted for ACPI and won't work without it,
people are going to try to upgrade and discover that their systems don't
work.

I think the best solution is to remove it from the black-list (Nate?)
and at least let it work. Then people can figure out to use TSC and not
the ACPI clock.

What would be better is a more granular black-list that simply disabled
ACPI for features that are broken. Of course, maintaining this would be
a pain.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)