ASUS P5A broken by ACPI black-list

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Oct 4 13:48:33 PDT 2004

> From: John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:57:30 -0400
>
> On Monday 04 October 2004 02:33 pm, Nate Lawson wrote:
> > Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > It looks like interrupts from the Ethernet are not delivered without
> > > ACPI, but that is hardly your problem. I have over-ridden the black-list
> > > and things are back to normal.
> >
> > The reason this system works in Windows without ACPI is that irq routing
> > in Windows uses multiple info sources including _PIR and $PIR.  John
> > Baldwin has patches to do this for us too.
>
> $PIR routing already works on FreeBSD and has worked for quite a while.  The
> patches I have are to make the acpi_pci_link code work more like the $PIR
> code already does.  It doesn't change the ACPI code to actually use $PIR or
> the MPTable though.  I can try to look at why the ethernet device doesn't get
> interrupts correctly if you can provide verbose ACPI and non-ACPI dmesgs to
> look at.

John,

I can generate these tonight. I won't have access to the system until
then and I don't want to try doing it remotely, especially since I have
not played with boot configuration on V5.

This is quite possibly $PIR related since it worked fine with V4, but
only works with ACPI on V5. I can't say just when the problem with
non-ACPI boots started as I had not had occasion to try a non-ACPI boot
with V5 before a kernel of June 13, 2004. The June 13 kernel failed to
deal with interrupts from my network card as does RELENG_5.

FYI, no apic or smp in the kernel. ASUS P5A w/ K6-3 at 450 CPU with only
Matrox AGP card, Ensoniq PCI sound and 3Com network cards added to the
system. I have not tested the sound card without ACPI.

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)