ACPI interrupt storms during shutdown

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Mon May 17 11:12:54 PDT 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> For about two week my laptop (IBM T30) has started reporting stray
> interrupts from acpi0 or an interrupt storm on IRQ9. This is really not
> a problem as it happens right at the end of the shutdown after disks are
> synced and seems to start as the standard background processes are
> terminated. It usually is reported after vnlru and bufdaemon terminate,
> but before syncer terminates. (It's very hard to tell much as the screen
> blanks immediately.) It may be starting as bufdaemon is terminated.
>
> This is not causing me any problems, but I wanted to mention it as it
> certainly does not seem right.

Yep, I've got that too.  What happens is a series of GPEs occur during the
AcpiTerminate() process.  I'll be changing the ACPI shutdown process after
I do some more debugging of the source of the GPEs.  The interrupt storm
check is probably too sensitive in some non-runtime cases.

This is on the ACPI TODO list:
http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/acpi-todo.html

-Nate