ACPI Interupt storm detected

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Jun 4 15:28:03 GMT 2004

> From: "Grover Lines" <grover at ceribus.net>
> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:04:55 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>
> I've been building world on a daily basis and starting May 16 my kernel was
> hanging with ACPI enabled. Anyway since a couple days ago the system boots
> fine but hangs on reboot. My system is a K7S5A and here's my debugging info
> so that maybe it will help someone to fix the issue.
>
> boot -v with ACPI enabled    http://www.ceribus.net/freebsd/dmesg.txt
> boot -v with ACPI disabled   http://www.ceribus.net/freebsd/dmesg-wo.txt
>
> ASL 	http://www.ceribus.net/freebsd/grover-k7s5a.asl
>
> hellhound# sysctl hw.acpi
> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S4 S5
> hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
> hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
> hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
> hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
> hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
> hw.acpi.verbose: 0
> hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff: 0
> hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_history: 7673/0
>

> If I set hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff=1 I get a irq storm with the following
> output.
>
> Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process vnlru' to stop...stopped Waiting
> (max 60 seconds) for system process bufdaemon' to stop... Interupt storm
> detected on "irq9: acpi0"; throttling interupt source stopped Waiting (max
> 60 seconds) for system process syncer' to stop...stopped
>
> Synching disks, buffers remaining... 20 20 9 9 Done
> Uptime: 6m9s
>
> Hangs.......
>
> Any help is appreciated

The interrupt storm you are seeing is well known and should be gone with
current. It was never a real problem, just annoying messages. The hang
is unrelated. Back out /sys/i386/i386/intr_machdep.c V1.6. It involves
moving two lines of code. That will cure the hang. Combine that with an
updated kernel and the messages should be gone, too.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)