S3 on a Sony VGN-A290

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Dec 10 09:45:36 PST 2004

> Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:16:05 -0700 (MST)
> From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>
> In message: <20041210133615.GA1482 at genius.tao.org.uk>
>             Josef Karthauser <joe at freebsd.org> writes:
> : Grump.  I leave my new Sony in S3 and come back to it in the morning to
> : find that it's run out of battery :/.  I thought that S3 was a low
> : energy state.  Anyone else got a similar machine?  Is it a problem with
> : the machine or our ACPI?  (I'm running RELENG_5 on it).
>
> It is a Low energy state.  However, it isn't a NO energy state.

What version are you running? I think that Nate has added support for PCI
power states to current and will probably be MFCing them soon. I have
been testing them for about 2 weeks.

You also want to use jhb's acpi_video_dpms patch if the back-light on
your display does not turn off. This is a BIG power sink. I'll attach a
copy that is clean against stable of yesterday (and probably today). Be sure
that you load acpi_video!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)