Dell Inspiron 8600

Ulrich Spoerlein q at uni.de
Fri Dec 10 01:33:26 PST 2004

On Thu, 09.12.2004 at 02:48:30 -0500, Igor Partola wrote:
> I tried running 5.1 on this machine a while ago and there more features
> seemed to be supported. Hitting fn + F3 brought me to BIOS and closing
> the lid turned off the screen (I believe that was after I issued
> acpiconf -d as root). This functionality in 5.3 seems to be missing and
> I see now way to turn off the screen (xset does not work as it does not
> turn off backlight. I don't like this way anyways since I like console a
> lot).

This works like a charm:
acpi_video_load=YES in /boot/loader.conf

And this in /etc/devd.conf
notify 10 {
        match "system"          "ACPI";
        match "subsystem"       "Lid";
        action  "/sbin/sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=$notify";
};

This will turn on/off the LCD when the lid-key is pressed.

I also added this, which turns off the LCD when pressing suspend:
notify 10 {
        match "system"          "ACPI";
        match "subsystem"       "Button";
        match "notify"          "0x01";
        action  "/sbin/sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=0";
};

Turning the LCD back on, when resuming, needs to be done manually. I
think /etc/rc.{suspend,resume} is a better place for this.

> When I issue acpiconf -s 3 I see that the laptop is preparing to go in
> suspend and the power indicator light actually starts dimming but after
> a second the fan starts going like a jet and the system reboots. I tried
> stripping the system of off all the unnecessary stuff (or so I think)
> but got the same effect.

Nate suggested some things I could try to narrow this problem done. I'll
give them a try over the weekend. Stay tuned! :)

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44