HP nc8000 Laptop ACPI Issues

Brian McDonald brianmcd at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 31 19:51:10 PDT 2004

I've been having trouble getting FreeBSD to properly handle the ACPI system on
my Hewlett-Packard nc8000 laptop.  Here are the issues I'm seeing:

- The system will not properly reboot, shutdown -r, or shutdown -p.  All
operations result in the same behavior - the system stops at the "Uptime:
blah" message, but does not power down.

- acpiconf -s [345] results in an dead system.  The OS goes through
rc.suspend, and then the screen blanks.  It won't respond to anything until I
hold the power button for 5 seconds, after which it will restart, but without
video.  I have to force it to power off again to get the display back.

- The system cannot power up the on-board wireless card.  When ndiswrapper
(mmm, Project Evil) is used, I get the following message after trying to load
if_ndis:
pci0: Failed to set ACPI power state D3 on (null): AE_BAD_PARAMETER

- During verbose boot, it complains about some mutexes being released that
were not held.  (sounds bad).
ACPI-0337: *** Error: Cannot release Mutex [C0E9], not acquired
ACPI-1303: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.C045.C058.C0E8.C128]
(Node 0xc1631f00), AE_AML_MUTEX_NOT_ACQUIRED
ACPI-1303: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.C135._PSR] (Node
0xc1635de0), AE_AML_MUTEX_NOT_ACQUIRED

Other ACPI functions appear to be working.  Thermal zones are changing as the
temperature rises, and the battery info option on acpiconf works.  I've run
the system under the SuSE 9.1 Live CD.  It is able to automatically reboot
the system (when selecting reboot from the KDE logoff menu).  When I use
swsusp to suspend the system, it suspends and then wakes back up immediately.
When I use shutdown -z, it suspends and then reboots the computer.  Since
Linux is only part-way working, I imagine there is a problem with the BIOS
itself.

I've tried the following to get FreeBSD working:
- removed various drivers from the kernel and unloaded modules.
- set hw.acpi.osname to "Windows 2001".  This string appears in the ASL.
- fiddled with hw.acpi.reset_video.
- tweaked hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff.

Here is the data requested in the handbook.

dmesg from a verbose boot:
http://www.lustygrapes.net/hp_nc8000.boot.dmesg.txt

ASL:
http://www.lustygrapes.net/hp_nc8000.asl.txt

sysctl hw.acpi:
http://www.lustygrapes.net/hp_nc8000.sysctls.txt

Please let me know what other information I can provide, or tests I can
perform.  This really is a nice laptop.  HP has just started releasing other
laptops with Linux pre-installed, so maybe there is hope for me yet.  :)

Thanks!
Brian
--
Brian McDonald, CCNA