Driver for Thinkpad Hotkeys.

takawata at jp.freebsd.org takawata at jp.freebsd.org
Tue Aug 17 01:59:18 PDT 2004

I updated the driver to be able to change wireless status, by
dev.acpi_tpkey.0.bluetooth,
dev.acpi_tpkey.0.wlan
sysctl value. (WLAN handling may not be correct.)
http://www.init-main.com/acpi_tpkey/acpi_tpkey.c

In message <cone.1092728117.391106.782.1001 at phobos.totalterror.net>, Niki Denev
 wrote:
>On my X31, when i load acpi_tpkey and start 'devd -dD', i get notifications
>only when pressing the Fn+F3 (screen blank) combination.
>Am i missing something ?

By default,only  Fn+F3,Fn+F4(Suspend - This is handled by this driver,
 instead of sleep button driver), and Fn+F12(Suspend to Disk)
 will assert notification.
In addition to that, you can transfer control of all *possible* button
to operating system by setting dev.acpi_tpkey.0.key_mask
to dev.acpi_tpkey.0.avail_mask.
This will enable all notifications and disable all default hotkey actions.

>P.S.: the acpi_tpkey_kldload.out file contains the console output, when i
>load the driver.
>and the acpi_tpkey_notify.out file contains the message i get when pressing
>Fn+F3.
>Any other special buttons, (AccessIBM, vol up/down, mute, brightness, key
>light) don't print notify messages, but they continue to work normal.

That's expected. Those button will not produce any ACPI notification,
though it is dealt by ACPI byte code.
Instead of it, those keys set toggle value to RTC ram and you can access
the Fn+SPC(0x20) and AccessIBM(0x8) value by dev.acpi_tpkey.0.misckey .
(Volume and Brightness toggle can be seen in RTC register, but
it is not exported to user now.)
To assert event from kernel, kernel thread will be needed.