cvs commit: src/etc/defaults periodic.conf rc.conf
dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 21:09:33 UTC 2007
Mike Makonnen wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 06:22:14AM +0000, Doug Barton wrote:
>> dougb 2007-05-29 06:22:14 UTC
>> FreeBSD src repository
>> Modified files:
>> etc/defaults periodic.conf rc.conf
>> Now that a separate /usr/X11R6 directory is no longer in fashion,
>> stop looking there for things like rc.d and periodic. This avoids
>> duplicating effort when /usr/X11R6 is a symlink to /usr/local,
>> which it is by default now.
> I dunno, it seems a bit much to force someone (even if it *is* -CURRENT)
> to either upgrade to xorg 7.2 or maintain a local patch to revert this
> commit. Not all of us have the bandwidth to upgrade immediately :-(
It's not even a local patch, it's an rc.conf variable. :)
Seriously though, I understand your perspective, but I am one of those
who pushed for not branching HEAD till late in the game with the
caveat that we (committers) would push hard to get it looking as much
like we want to ship 7.0-RELEASE as possible, as fast as possible. IMO
(and this is not meant to slight anyone, defecation occurs) we're
already pretty far behind that goal, and I don't want to get any
farther behind. We really need to start looking at the question "what
do we want 7.0-RELEASE to look like on a clean install?" and move
rapidly in that direction. Those of us who run -current on a day to
day basis should be able to hold our legacy stuff together in the
>> It is not anticipated at this time that we will MFC this change, since
>> we'd like to avoid breaking legacy systems. However, there is a fix for
>> /etc/rc.subr in the works to avoid running any rc.d scripts twice which
>> we should be able to MFC.
> It seems to me this might be the better solution for both -CURRENT and
> -STABLE depending on what the fix looks like.
I agree that this is a better long term solution all the way around.
The patch was posted to -rc on 5/21 with subject, "fwd: Re: X.org 7.2
ports merged into the FreeBSD Ports Tree." Let's move the discussion
there and see if we can't get this fix in HEAD soon so that it can be
MFC'ed that much sooner.
This .signature sanitized for your protection
More information about the cvs-src